- 60 min
- 90 min
- 24 pieces
1 large Italian eggplant
150 g (1 1/2 cups) Saputo Provolone cheese, grated
30 ml (2 tbsp) onion, finely chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) cilantro, finely chopped
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
75 ml (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
500 ml (2 cups) vegetable oil (for deep frying)
Lemon wedges for garnish, as required
Cilantro sprigs, as required
- Preheat the broiler for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, pierce the eggplant 5 or 6 times all over. Place on a baking sheet and broil for 20 minutes, then turn it over and broil 20 minutes more. Alternately, grill the eggplant on a BBQ until blackened and soft.
- Carefully slit the eggplant open and place in a colander to cool and drain. When cool, scoop out the flesh and chop it well. Mix the chopped eggplant with the cheese, eggs, onion, cilantro and seasonings. Refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
- Use a tablespoon to divide the mixture into 24 balls, and roll each one gently in the flour.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil to 170°C / 325˚F, or until one of the croquettes sizzles gently upon contact. Fry the croquettes 5 or 6 at a time for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve garnished with cilantro and lemon wedges.
Tip: These croquettes make a super sandwich stuffed inside a pita with some hummus and fresh veggies.