- 10 min
- 10 min
- 450 g (1 lb) lean ground veal (you may substitute with ground beef)
- 140 g (3/4 cup) Saputo Bella Lodi cheese, grated
- 5 mL (1 tsp) fresh savory, chopped
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1.5 L (6 cups) vegetable stock (You may substitute with beef stock.)
- 75 mL (1/3 cup) white basmati rice
- 4 sprigs savory
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine veal, Bella Lodi cheese, savory, salt and pepper.
- Shape into 4 cm (1 1/2 in) balls.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Brown the meatballs, remove from the skillet and reserve.
- In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer. Add the browned meatballs and the rice and cook them in the stock for 10 minutes. Serve the soup hot with a sprig of savory.
Tip: This recipe may be frozen, but the meatballs must be cooked first, as directed, in the stock. Omit the rice. When re-heating the soup, add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes.
Kid Tip: To make the soup more appealing to children, use fun-shaped pasta instead of rice. Cook the pasta separately and add it at the end.