- 45 min
- 65 min
Dough (see note)
- 180 mL (¾ cup) lukewarm water
- 10 mL (2 tsp) sugar
- 7 mL (1½ tsp) active dry yeast
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 5 mL (1 tsp) sea salt
- 430 mL (1¾ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 pizza dough recipe
- 150 g (1¼ cups) Saputo Ricotta di Campagna cheese
- 120 g (1 cup) Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, grated
- 40 g (⅓ cup) Saputo grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500 mL (2 cups) spinach, blanched, drained and chopped
- A few fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 250 mL (1 cup) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Egg wash: 1 egg, beaten and 15 mL (1 tbsp) water
Note: For a quick and easy way to prepare this recipe, use store-bought pizza dough.
For the dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water and sugar.
- Sprinkle yeast on the surface of the water and let rest for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Add olive oil and sea salt and stir with a fork.
- Add 250 mL (1 cup) of the flour and stir with a fork until the flour is fully incorporated and the mixture becomes sticky.
- Add an additional 125 mL (½ cup) of the flour and knead to incorporate.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface floured with the remaining 60 mL (1/4 cups) of flour. Knead for 5-7 minutes, or until the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth and supple.
- Transfer the dough to a large oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rest for 90 minutes at room temperature.
For the calzone
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
- In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Set aside.
- Separate the dough into 8 parts and roll each part into a ball. Roll the balls out into 20-cm (8-in) discs.
- Place approximately 125 mL (½ cup) of the filling mixture on top of each disc, then fold in half to create a semicircle. Fold over the edges of the calzone to seal.
- Repeat for each calzone.
- Brush the calzones with the egg wash and transfer onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes, or until the dough is risen and golden.
- Let cool for around 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with marinara sauce.