- 15 min
- 25 min
- 4 to 6
500 g (1.1 lb) sea scallops
250 g (9 oz) Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, grated
2 large onions, finely chopped
150 ml (2/3 cup) fig jam
180 ml (3/4 cup) brandy (can be substituted with white wine, broth or water), to deglaze
Olive oil, to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 tbsp fesh Parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the skillet over high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and place 5 to 6 scallops in the skillet ensuring they don’t overlap. Sear them a few minutes on each side without moving them to obtain a rich golden colour.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and toss in onions. Stir well to coat the onions with oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook onions for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until they become soft and dark caramel in colour. If they begin to stick to the pan, deglaze with brandy and continue cooking. This step can be repeated until the desired colour is obtained.
- Remove from heat and pour the jam into the pan and mix well with the onions.
- Place 4 to 6 ramekins on a cookie sheet, placing one scallop topped with a table spoon of the onion mixture in each. Cover with Mozzarellissima cheese.
- Cook for 5 minutes on broil until the Mozzarellissima cheese is melted and lightly golden brown in colour.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley and serve.