- 15 min
- 25 min
450 g (1 lb) cooked orecchiette pasta
25 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) Dairyland or Neilson unsalted butter
50 g (1 3/4 oz) double smoked bacon, finely diced
50 g (1 3/4 oz) yellow onion, finely diced
50 g (1 3/4 oz) leek, finely diced
40 ml (2 1/2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
45 ml (3 tbsp) white wine
250 ml (1 cup) Dairyland, Neilson or Baxter milk
180 ml (3/4 cup) Dairyland, Neilson or Baxter 35% cream
115 g (1/4 lb) Saputo Cheddar cheese, shredded
120 g (4 oz) Saputo Parmesan cheese, grated
1 ml (1/4 tsp) truffle oil
10 ml (2 tsp) chopped Italian parsley
3 ml (1/2 tsp) chopped basil and/or thyme
100 g (3 1/2 oz) fresh bread crumbs
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a generous pot of boiling salted water, cook the orecchiette al dente, according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan or pot, heat the butter and briefly sauté the bacon. Add the onion and leek and continue to sauté until translucent.
- Add the flour to the pan and whisk to combine. Add the white wine and whisk for 30 seconds, then add the milk and cream. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan occasionally to make sure the sauce doesn’t stick.
- Add the Cheddar and 90 g (3 oz) of the grated Parmesan. Stir to combine, taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings as necessary, then add the truffle oil.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the cheese sauce and spoon into a large ovenproof serving dish or several individual dishes.
- In a small bowl combine the remaining Parmesan, chopped Italian parsley, chopped basil and / or thyme, and fresh bread crumbs.
- Top the pasta with this mixture and place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until nicely browned.
- Serve with an arugula salad and a fresh tomato ragout.