- 10 min
- 20 min
1 kg (2.2 lb) minced medium ground veal (or your choice of: beef, pork or turkey)
1 small handful breadcrumbs
25 mL (4 tsp) olive oil
To taste salt and freshly ground pepper (or powdered beef stock)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, diced
15 mL (1 tbsp) powdered beef stock
375 g (2 1/2 cups) Saputo Lite Mozzarellissima cheese, cut into cubes
150 g (5 oz) prosciutto, thinly sliced
8 to 10 mixed orange, red and white carrots, coarsely chopped
125 mL (1/2 cup) white wine (or water)
1 tomato, sliced
1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a bowl combine meat, breadcrumbs, egg and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper (or powdered beef stock) to taste and mix well.
- In a 35 x 27 cm (13 x 10 in) ovenproof dish lined with plastic wrap, pack the meat mixture flat then top with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Add chopped onions, diced tomatoes, a sprinkle of powdered beef stock and half the Mozzarellissima cheese, distributing the ingredients evenly. Cover with slices of prosciutto and the rest of the Mozzarellissima.
- Roll the meat into a large log using the plastic wrap, then discard the plastic.
- Cover the meatloaf with sliced tomatoes and any remaining onion pieces.
- Place the carrots around the meatloaf, pour the white wine into the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle the carrots with lemon juice.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cooking time may vary depending on your oven. If the meatloaf seems underdone, bake it another ten minutes or so until cooked to your liking.
- Serve hot or cold, with the vegetables of your choice as a side dish.