- 15 min
- 25 min
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 200 g (7 oz) ground chicken or turkey
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 200 g (2 cups) Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 Italian plum tomatoes, cut in 1 cm (1/2 in) dice
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) canned navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 4 x 20 cm (8 in) whole wheat soft tortillas
- 8 slices of Saputo Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, to taste
- Mild salsa or tomatillo sauce, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add ground meat and cook, stirring continuously, until no longer pink. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes with their juices, and stock. Simmer over medium heat until liquid has evaporated. Add beans and cook 1 minute more. Remove from stove. Add oregano and lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place 4 tortillas on a large work surface. Place 2 slices of Monterey Jack cheese in the center of each tortilla. Spoon an equal amount of the meat and vegetable mixture over the cheese on each tortilla. Roll up to make burritos.
- Microwave burritos one at a time at high power for 45 seconds.
- Cut burritos in half and serve with condiments.
Can you imagine getting your kids to eat cabbage and beans in the same dish? Double the recipe and freeze half for a quick weekend lunch. Feel free to add some white beans left over from a vegetable soup.