- 25 min
- 45 min
- 4 to 6
450 g (1 lb) lean ground beef
30 mL (2 tbsp) Saputo salted butter
1 bunch green onions, white and green parts sliced separately
500 mL (2 cups) frozen mixed vegetables
125 mL (1/2 cup) beef stock
30 mL (2 tbsp) tomato paste
30 mL (2 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
110 g (1/2 cup) Saputo marble Cheddar, shredded
450 g (1 lb) celery root, peeled and quartered
2 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
75 mL (1/3 cup) milk
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, sear the meat in the butter until it is cooked, breaking up the pieces with the back of a fork.
- Add the white parts of the onions, the frozen vegetables, stock, tomato paste and seasonings. Simmer 15 minutes then stir in half the Marble Cheddar. Transfer the mixture to a 20 cm (8 in) square baking dish. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, cover the celery root and potatoes with cold salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Drain the water from the celery root and potatoes and return the pan to the heat to evaporate excess moisture. Pass the vegetables through a food mill or ricer and add the milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the remaining cheese and spread the mixture over the meat.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until the meat is bubbling up around the potato topping. Sprinkle with the green parts of the onions.
Tip: This dish may also be prepared in 4 or 6 individual dishes. Bake as indicated. Cool completely after baking, then place the dish directly in the freezer. When frozen, wrap carefully, identify and date, and return to the freezer.