- 20 min
- 35 min
- 4 to 6
450 g (1 lb) of phyllo pastry, defrosted
1 bunch (700 g) fresh asparagus
50 g (1/4 cup) Saputo unsalted butter, melted
340 g (12 oz) Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, grated
190 mL (3/4 cup) 35% cream
Zest of 2 lemons
2.5 mL (1/2 tsp) smoked paprika
Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C / 350˚F. Bring a pot of water to boil, add the asparagus and cook for 1 minute to blanch them.
- Place the asparagus in ice water to stop the cooking process and maintain their crunchy texture. Drain and dry them.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet, of approximately 2 in (5 cm) smaller than the sheets of phyllo dough, with melted butter. On a work surface, place a sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush the top of the sheet with butter. Repeat the process layering the remaining phyllo dough on top.
- Put the layered sheets on the buttered baking sheet, folding the edges on the sides of it.
- Sprinkle the top of the phyllo pastry with grated Mozzarellissima cheese leaving a 2.5 cm (1 in) border. Beat the eggs with the cream and smoked paprika and pour on top of the tart.
- Arrange the asparagus spears equally across the tart and sprinkle with sea salt, lemon zest and brush the borders of the tart with melted butter. Sprinkle with the rest of Mozzarellissima cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Cover the center of the tart with aluminium foil leaving the borders exposed and continue cooking for 15 to 20 minutes until center is set and the edges are golden brown. If needed, put a few minutes under broil to glaze the cheese.
- Remove from the oven and allow the tart to sit for 5 minutes before cutting in squares and serving.